Confusion As Cassava Flour Consumption Kills Mother & 5 ChildrenThe Adavi Local Government Area of Kogi State has been thrown into deep mourning after a mum, three children and two of their neighbours (also children) died after consuming Cassava Flour.
According to Vanguard, the late mum brought the flour from her farm and prepared it for them to eat. Sadly, they fell ill. Three of the victims died one after another before they were rushed to the Okene General Hospital. The remaining three died on Monday night.
The five children were aged between 9 and 15.
Confirming the incident, Public Relations Officer of the LGA, Mr. Abdulhamid Salahudeen, said the neighbours noticed that the family began to complain of stomachache. He said:
“The neighbours, who sensed that the sudden deaths may be due to the cassava flour dinner, quickly rushed the remaining three children to Okene General Hospital, where they died between the early hours and afternoon of yesterday.”
“The authority of the local government believed that the cassava flour was poisoned and had informed the police for proper action.”
Speaking with the press, a senior nursing officer at the hospital also confirmed that the remaining three victims where brought in late Monday afternoon, and that they have passed on.